The texts in this blog are published with their original spelling and grammar. No comments and teacher feedback are included.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sherlock Holmes falls in love

By Verónica Fernández.

Everything started the night in which my boss contacted me. My next duty was clearly simple. I needed to defeat my only rival. It was said that he was a snake in the grass capable of ruining my boss´ business with the Police Force.   

I was very well known as a methodical secret detective of peculiar intelligence; analytic, smart, industrious, a bit eccentric. If you ask me, I would say a bit fool as well, but anyway, no one knew that by then, not even I, not even Watson, not even my rival. “I’ll start right away,” I told my boss. I would’ve liked to think that I said that because of my enthusiastic attitude towards my job; the truth was that it was boring being alone night after night. 

Right after the phone call, I went to the bar. I had been told my rival would be there by midnight. It was twenty to twelve so I stood by the entrance, silently, expecting him in the shadows. I remember that it was a pitch black night and the brightest full moon I had ever seen enchanted me immediately, so it took me by great surprise when I suddenly noticed that my rival was walking towards the entrance. For the first time in my life I felt I was in complete loss of words. 

My rival was a man in his late 40´s. He liked tobacco as much as I for what I could see, and by the way he looked down on the girls around, he wasn’t interested in women.  I had a few spirits and the next minute my rival and I were talking. “My name is E,” I remember telling him.  That was the moment in which he first looked at me.  I still remember the sparks behind his eyes.  He noticed something in me and I was certainly counting on that. I knew perfectly well he would show a bit of attention. I didn’t need to lie; smart people wouldn’t lie. I simply kept silence waiting for his reply. Watson, who had just arrived, stared at me suspiciously. Actually, getting rid of Watson was much easier than I thought it would be. I just pretended that my automobile had run out of petrol, so I asked my rival to come with me to find some. Finally, I was alone with him. 

Since that moment on, we met regularly. Actually, it was the first of many delightful meetings alone with him. Although we established a deep relationship, we both knew the truth, but neither of us had the courage to mention anything about it. Something unspoken remained between us; our secret. Like I’d said, I was a fool. I fell in love with him. I fell in love with Sherlock.  He always knew it was him I was meant to defeat and he just kept on pretending. As a matter of fact, he never asked me about my real name, he simply called me “E”. As I mentioned before, I didn’t need to lie. Smart people  wouldn’t lie. Would they? 

Elizabeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment