The texts in this blog are published with their original spelling and grammar. No comments and teacher feedback are included.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

William Wilson

 by Edgar Allan Poe.
(Review by Lucía Rivero Boni)

Wiiliam Wilson is a short story about the rivalry of two boys. Their lives were connected because of some curious coincidences: they have the same name, age and birthday date. They felt from each other a mixture of hate and admiration. But during the years, these feelings got worse:
“His only purpose seemed to be to annoy me and spoil my success. There where times, though, when I could not help noticing that he showed a certain sympathy, perhaps even love, towards me. I did not like this behaviour because I thought it meant that he was sorry for me.”
In this story E.A. Poe showed us how our mind plays tricks on us. The author paid particular attention to psychological issues at the time of writing.  This is an intriguing tale where more than one will feel identified with the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment